• Piggy Bank The SFM Winter Appeal is now underway in the midst of a fairly radical change of platform at SFM Central. We have moved from the familiar blog format to a new Forum platform, and we hope that this will give rise to an increase in our number, as it offers easier and more granular access to discussion.

In the course of the next year, we expect to see our numbers grow, and our costs reduce. This is because our hosting contract, designed to cope with the blog format during the busiest period of the greatest ever Scottish football scandal, ends this year. The new format will be less demanding in terms of hardware and bandwidth, though perhaps more so in respect of moderation.

The current period we are living in is extremely hard for everyone, and there is no doubt that the pressures on our members are huge. However our overarching aim is to preserve the SFM community as a refuge for some, as a laugh for others, and an education for others still.

The funds we are looking to raise are for the usual costs of hosting, moderation and support - and also the software costs associated wit the move.

Please consider helping us get there by donating at our Donations Page.
    We are grateful for any amount, large or small.

A walk to the Game

Up The Hoops!

Pro Youth
Years ago when I travelled to games by train that area was very familiar. Drink was a big part of the ritual then and my mate and I started in our home town before getting the train to Glasgow. Then we had a set ritual within the bars in Central Station before getting the train to Dalmarnock. As we walked to the ground the beer was always playing heavily on our bladders so up there was always a welcome toilet stop šŸ˜‚. These days I don't even drink before a game but always enjoy a few afterwards.

Cluster One

Squad Player
Years ago when I travelled to games by train that area was very familiar. Drink was a big part of the ritual then and my mate and I started in our home town before getting the train to Glasgow. Then we had a set ritual within the bars in Central Station before getting the train to Dalmarnock. As we walked to the ground the beer was always playing heavily on our bladders so up there was always a welcome toilet stop šŸ˜‚. These days I don't even drink before a game but always enjoy a few afterwards.
Many friends would have taken that walk to the game. Hope it brings back memories. Dangerous going back that way in the dark

John Clark

Pro Youth
In the very early 1950s, before Georgie and Podgy and I ( alias variously Gene Autry, Roy Rogers and Tom Mix) ever went for an almost at first request 'lift o'er the bar' at the Janefield St end, our route to Celtic Park was:
from Cuthelton St up to Glamis Road [this involved ,in the passing, jumping on and off all those buses which had their doors open , and the occasional double-decker that didnae have doors, that were parked all along Glamis Road from Helenvale Street to Canmore Street,]

crossing Helenvale Street,

going down Whitby St ,

and crossing Springfield Road into Janefied St

And then sitting on the wall-top at the back of the 'jungle' looking across to the 'stand to see if I might spot my mammy and her sister and friend on those occasions when I knew they were there.
My dad ( not having one o' they wee blue 3-wheeler 'disabled' cars [ when did they disappear?] didn't feel able to manage the stairs etc, and, besides, he was basically a Murrerwell supporter, so he woudn't be there.
Memories indeed, Cluster One, of days of innocence!

Up The Hoops!

Pro Youth
In the very early 1950s, before Georgie and Podgy and I ( alias variously Gene Autry, Roy Rogers and Tom Mix) ever went for an almost at first request 'lift o'er the bar' at the Janefield St end, our route to Celtic Park was:
from Cuthelton St up to Glamis Road [this involved ,in the passing, jumping on and off all those buses which had their doors open , and the occasional double-decker that didnae have doors, that were parked all along Glamis Road from Helenvale Street to Canmore Street,]

going down Whitby St ,

And then sitting on the wall-top at the back of the 'jungle' looking across to the 'stand to see if I might spot my mammy and her sister and friend on those occasions when I knew they were there.
My dad ( not having one o' they wee blue 3-wheeler 'disabled' cars [ when did they disappear?] didn't feel able to manage the stairs etc, and, besides, he was basically a Murrerwell supporter, so he woudn't be there.

Great stuff John, it's amazing to think how built up the area around the ground was years ago compared to now.

I heard a great story from the time the stadium was rebuilt. Possibly Big Pink will be able to confirm the accuracy of it. The story goes that when the new North Stand was built at Celtic Park that it caused issues with the TV reception in the houses which still existed at the time in Dalriada Street behind what is now the Lisbon Lions Stand. Fergus McCann agreed to have a TV transmitter installed on the stand roof, but some of the residents wanted financial compensation too. The story goes that Fergus agreed to pay them Ā£250 each, as long as they brought their TV licence with them! Needless to say not many turned up, but for those who did, and brought their TV licence with them, Fergus was true to his word.

John Clark

Pro Youth
True or not, that would have been Fergus at his pragmatic best: when people make claims, call them out to prove them!

One can well imagine him asking innocently a question such as this:" are you the same football club that is the most successful football club in the world? Have you paid the tens of millions of pounds of debt that that club owed before its entitlement to participate in professional football ceased on its financial Liquidation?'

Honest to God!

That our simple game should have been so perverted by liars and cheats !
We have men in office in Scottish Professional football just like Trump: deniers of Truth, in spite of every evidence that makes them liars.
God rot their very souls!

Cluster One

Squad Player

going down Whitby St ,

Whitby street train station. Not saying you will remember it John (Big laughs from me) you can see celtic park floodlights in the background. Whitby street tenements are still standing, but the railway line was covered over and is still noticable as a mount with trees covering it.Now used by many lads as a shelter for a fly drink. wonder if they know below was an old railway line.

Attachments

• whitby street train station.jpg
    whitby street train station.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 0

Cluster One

Squad Player
Great stuff John, it's amazing to think how built up the area around the ground was years ago compared to now.

I heard a great story from the time the stadium was rebuilt. Possibly Big Pink will be able to confirm the accuracy of it. The story goes that when the new North Stand was built at Celtic Park that it caused issues with the TV reception in the houses which still existed at the time in Dalriada Street behind what is now the Lisbon Lions Stand. Fergus McCann agreed to have a TV transmitter installed on the stand roof, but some of the residents wanted financial compensation too. The story goes that Fergus agreed to pay them Ā£250 each, as long as they brought their TV licence with them! Needless to say not many turned up, but for those who did, and brought their TV licence with them, Fergus was true to his word.
Known as the black line. Appeared to the right hand side of the screen.

Cluster One

Squad Player

going down Whitby St ,

That will be two directions now to get to the game. the one i mentioned and the one you mentioned. Both troden with many a friend i expect.

Big Pink

Admin
Staff member

TroošŸ‘

Big Pink

Admin
Staff member
My route to CP was meeting my dad outside the Town Tavern at Shettleston Cross, then walking down Shettleston Rd, up Westmuir St to Parkhead Cross, along Burgher St, then turn right into Dechmont St, across Springfield Road into Malcolm Street, then left onto Delburn Street, emerging at the turnstiles at the old Rangers end at Janefield.
Everything west of Springfield Rd is gone now if course. Malky St, Edmiston St, Palace St and Delburn St all gone.
Was a very densely populated area all around CP in the 60s. Changed a great deal now.

Top Bottom