Where to From Here?

Since everyone appears to be shy for the minute, I may as well put my Celtic hat on and ask "where do the club go from here"?
Seems to me that the board were always gonna have to face a day of reckoning - TIAR or not - because of their behaviour over the last nine years or so with regard to the Rangers scandal.

This has largely passed without commensurate fan opprobrium because of the reluctance of supporters to rock the boat whilst TIAR was on the go. At the end of this season, that reluctance will have ended whether the league secured or not.
With the fall-off-a-cliff performance of the team in the last few months, and the aftermath of Saturday's Derby, we may not have to wait until the end of the season for the penny to drop that the quest is already over.

Perhaps we should not forget, in the midst of the favourable corporate management comparisons with Rangers over the last decade, that Rangers actually went out of business, and that the successor club was a complete basket case on and off the field. So not a high performance bar then.

The current Celtic board have had a largely free ride over the piece, but as soon as the first real challenge appeared, it became apparent that the mythical 'meticulous' planning was actually an absence of planning, and the self congratulation of the Teenies decade was the sound of the same self satisfied middle-aged to elderly men, unrefreshed by new ideas and vigour, applauding themselves in an empty phone-box.

Real success would have been planning properly for the emergence of a real challenge - a challenge which the Celtic board actively sought to put in place because they saw no way out of a league with little competition other than to assist the one (in their opinion) cash cow working its way up the divisions.

Pretend success is believing the hype. The hype that they themselves put out there, that the achievements of the football team over the period was largely down to them. Having convinced themselves of that, no-one saw that the Chief Executive had surrounded himself with people with insufficient ability to challenge his position. Ask yourself this. Who at Parkhead is a likely successor to Lawwell?

Of course they have now been found out - long before the virtual concession of the league title on Saturday. Brendan Rogers knew it was a car-crash waiting to happen. His light hearted comment that he could have opened a 'wingers shop' betrayed a belief that signing business was not being carried out to the fullest extent of helping the team, but was more concerned with a 'buy low-sell high' strategy designed to make money for shareholders, and enrich executives. And Rogers' experience has gone a long way to ensuring that managers of real quality will give Celtic a body swerve as long as the current Chief Executive is in place - even before they start talking money.

And even with Lawwell gone, the same billionaire interests will drive the club for as long as the fans don't have a say. Of course they like to pretend that the fans do have input, but shareholders representatives who have tried to engage with the club will tell you different. Not only were they taken for a ride by the board, they were lied to.

The way I see it, a properly constructed fans forum is essential. One which can coordinate action amongst fans, and try to shift the debate in football towards a membership model for all of our clubs. As long as there is big money in football, there will be crooks and spivs. We've been talking about the chancers who ran Rangers into the buffers. Time we started to look a little closer to home.

Not a solution I know, but in the current circumstances, perhaps the discussion can be set underway, unencumbered by the TIAR obstacle that has been in its path for so long.

Last edited:

GunnerB

Pro Youth
Sell Christie, Rogic, Eddy, Ajer,Ntcham

Promote to regular first team duties Welsh and johnston.

Buy Fergusson from Aberdeen Marc Guehi from Swansea(decent young CB contract ends this May I think) and try for the Serbian BBJ..Mitrovich from Fulham.

Manager? Slaven Bilic or Petrescu.

first eleven playing 4-4-2

Barkas, Taylor Welsh Julienne Frimpong, Calmac Fergusson Soro Turnbull, Mitrovic Griffiths

Subs:Hazzard,Johnston,Forrest,Hamed,Guehi

I think I deserve a heated driveway.

Pedromcq71

Pro Youth

Buy Fergusson from Aberdeen Marc Guehi from Swansea(decent young CB contract ends this May I think) and try for the Serbian BBJ..Mitrovich from Fulham.

Barkas, Taylor Welsh Julienne Frimpong, Calmac Fergusson Soro Turnbull, Mitrovic Griffiths

Calmac is brilliant but tends to get lost on were the ball is, due to his eagerness to be no.1 captain, soro is still learning, Turnbull is progressing but we still need a solid hold-em off midfielder who can stop play with his philosophy of direct passing (also shoot from 35-45) we look weak in the middle and wings. 2-5-3 is my formation as power from midfield is the answer to the 2 upfront with overlapping wingers.

boab1916

Squad Player
Where to from here? Celtic must accept Rangers total domination over them for start.

Maybe next season they can get their act together and finish within 15 points if the 55 times champions.

But for now Celtic must focus on fighting with Aberdeen for 3rd.
Think my avatar speaks for me, if you wish to talk dominance goodnight.

Pedromcq71

Pro Youth
Rivalry will always be no.1 in any sport, in Glasgow it goes a bit to far, there needs to be rivalry so companies can make money, to keep the bitterness between companies who support rivalry means they will ignore pleas for dominance as sales will drop.
If they have enough gullible people to accommodate the missing money from annoyed people they will as standard tell the new purchasers that they are going to be better this time.
If the new club playing from ibrox wins their first major trophy, i will congratulate them as i know it is sport.
I only hope that my club will get back to winning and start the count for more records ever to be accumulated from any Scottish football team.

Big Pink

Admin
Staff member
Rivalry will always be no.1 in any sport, in Glasgow it goes a bit to far, there needs to be rivalry so companies can make money, to keep the bitterness between companies who support rivalry means they will ignore pleas for dominance as sales will drop.
If they have enough gullible people to accommodate the missing money from annoyed people they will as standard tell the new purchasers that they are going to be better this time.
If the new club playing from ibrox wins their first major trophy, i will congratulate them as i know it is sport.
I only hope that my club will get back to winning and start the count for more records ever to be accumulated from any Scottish football team.
You were doing so well up to there :)

Pepperami

Squad Player

i would think we need a manager who can shape the whole football side with an ethos running from youth all the way up the chain
my preffered choice would be either

Ralph Rangnick or Massimilano allegri

either of those 2 would be great

GunnerB

Pro Youth
i would think we need a manager who can shape the whole football side with an ethos running from youth all the way up the chain
my preffered choice would be either

Ralph Rangnick or Massimilano allegri

either of those 2 would be great
Two fine suggestions Pepperami but with PL in place and maybe even without, we might be overreaching. Is the management role at Celtic to be all encompassing ? Then if so Celtic might just might be an attractive proposition as a real development opportunity .In this day and age though, money seems to talk . All very well offering a manager astronomical wages but when it comes to the player budget?.I really don't believe we will get Bilic either as he is away to top up his pension in China. We have also missed the boat with Petrescu who has signed up with Turkish superlige club Kayserispor. I think it hinges on whether or not DD decides to replace PL and/or introduce a DoF. I mentioned elsewhere Guus Hiddink for this appointment as he is currently languishing in Curacao, an island not noted for it’s footballing achievements but has a slightly better climate than the east end of Glasgow.

Pepperami

Squad Player
Two fine suggestions Pepperami but with PL in place and maybe even without, we might be overreaching. Is the management role at Celtic to be all encompassing ? Then if so Celtic might just might be an attractive proposition as a real development opportunity .In this day and age though, money seems to talk . All very well offering a manager astronomical wages but when it comes to the player budget?.I really don't believe we will get Bilic either as he is away to top up his pension in China. We have also missed the boat with Petrescu who has signed up with Turkish superlige club Kayserispor. I think it hinges on whether or not DD decides to replace PL and/or introduce a DoF. I mentioned elsewhere Guus Hiddink for this appointment as he is currently languishing in Curacao, an island not noted for it’s footballing achievements but has a slightly better climate than the east end of Glasgow.
you never know unless you ask them mate both been out of work for a while what your saying makes sense cant argue with it though i feel we have better players than this season suggests and someone who is classed as a serious professional needs to be sought after

i remember when Ronnie was manager i said same thing about the team then a better management team would've qualified for the cl with same group of players

we will of course lose some players but i don't feel we can simply afford another project manager or someone who used to be manager like MON or Strachan this appointed has to be right a serious serious pro if Lawwelll is in place next season then he quite frankly has to be rained in hopefully he goes sick of him to be honest

i do believe there's 2 cl spots available next season so losing the league is no real drama really moneywise however if we fail again in cl qualification who knows

meanwhile we are half way through the transfer window and no sign of building for the qualifiers by getting anyone in and have them settled in time

Top Bottom